We've already compared our Glorious Gaming Modular Mechanical Keyboard to two other flagship keyboards. Which means that now, it's time for Round 3: Glorious GMMK VS. SteelSeries Apex M500®.
NOTE - This article does NOT talk about the overall benefits of using a mechanical keyboard. On the contrary, it assumes you already know the basics and pros of using mechanical keyboards. For more information on why mechanical keyboards are all the hype nowadays, click here.
Glorious GMMK VS. SteelSeries Apex M500®
|Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard (GMMK)||Gaming mechanical keyboard||Full, TKL pre-orders available||Sandblasted aluminum faceplate||US Layout||Available on website|
|SteelSeries Apex M500®||Gaming mechanical keyboard||Full||Steel back plate, plastic body||US Layout||Available on website|
Mechanical switches and keycaps
- About to order a Glorious GMMK? Then, you'll notice that we let you choose from 6 *different mechanical switches:
|Name||Gateron Green||Gateron Red
||Gateron Blue||Gateron Brown||Gateron Black|
*You can experiment with other mechanical switch brands with the Glorious GMMK. For more information on mechanical switches and their importance, click here.
Regarding the keycaps, we use ABS doubleshot plastic ones for maximum contrast lettering and zero legend wear.
- Ordering a SteelSeries Apex M500®? In that case, you only have two alternatives:
|Name||CherryMX Red||CherryMX Blue|
As for the keycaps, they are made from ABS plastic.
- When purchasing our Glorious GMMK keyboard, the starting price for the customized (full & TKL) version is $59.99 (barebones). Depending on whether you choose mechanical switches and keycaps, the price can go up to $114.97.
- Getting the SteelSeries Apex M500® will cost you $99.99. When ordering, you're required to choose blue or red Cherry MX switches, plus a wrist rest is included.
Some brand-specific features
- Glorious GMMK
- First mechanical keyboard taking modularity to the next level. Featuring hot-swappable switches for Cherry, Gateron, and Kailh branded switches.
- Lets you easily remove and install any MX-based switch without soldering. Simply pop out the switch just like a keycap, and mix/match to test out to your heart's content.
- Standard bottom row for maximum compatibility, i.e. same size for all keycaps at the bottom.
- Minimalist design, very easy to clean.
- RGB LED lights with 18 pre-installed effects and 1 slot for user-defined effect (variable animation speeds and brightness settings).
- SteelSeries Apex M500®
- Comes bundled with a good wrist rest (check out our Glorious wrist rests here).
- Nice minimalist design.
- Strong, attractive blue backlighting.
- Intuitive software that gives you all the control you need.
Round 4 is next!
We still got a couple of rounds left. Our aim is to give you all the crucial information you need when choosing your next (or first) mechanical keyboard. That's why you can expect Round 4 very soon!
NOTE: We are not affiliated with SteelSeries in any way.